Geordies V Mackems – 15th August 2020 – Druid Park

Well for the 3rd year in a row the Geordie’s won, 3:2! 

Its time to give lots of shout outs to the companies who helped make Saturday’s event possible.

Lots of thank you’s to be given out, so bare with us!

We want to start by staying a huge thank you to Slade Auto’s and PKB Autofinishing for sponsoring the event.

Thank you to Fairview Windows and doors NE and Denton Travel who Sponsored the kits for the match.

Another thank you to City Sign’s for producing our fantastic banners at cost price!!

Thank you to Peter Tate at North East Traffic Management who loaned us traffic cones to help enforce social distancing at the event, and thank you to all of the volunteers who came along and helped out.

A big shout out to Matt Thompson for again allowing us to hold the amazing match at his venue at Druiid Park, and his amazing staff that were fantastic into the late hours of the night.

Lastly, thank you so so much to our players! We can count on each and everyone of you each year and we are so beyond grateful for all of your support!


So here is the run down, how the fantastic day & match went –

Everything ran like clockwork with staff members Phil Avery, Lynn Murphy and Gareth Horsley in attendance with volunteers Barry Sweeney, Ian Carr and Simon Workman (match officials) and Marie Horsley who was on the raffle table, Sophie Horsley (who made lush cakes and sold them), Corinne Ramel also on the raffle table, Alan Thompson (sold Team Cards) and especially Peter Levett who drove up from Middlesbrough to be our COVID-19 officer for the day. THANK YOU ALL!


The match started out with Brian Thomson scoring his first ever goal for the Geordie’s after 18 minutes putting the mags 1-0 up and then 20 minutes later Michael Groom scored his 5th goal of the event making it 2-0 to the Geordie’s, The Mackem’s had their fair share of chances with Kurtis Smith missing several sitters and Jack Musgrave hitting the post and forcing The Geordies goalkeeper Liam Duffy into a few saves


Half time was blown with the Geordies leading 2-0. Then in the 55th minute Marc Tweddle scored a blistering 35-yard free kick to put the mags 3-0 up, some say the wind took it , some say the keeper should have had it! Either way it smashed the back of the net! The Geordies seemed to take their foot off the gas with Jack Musgrave again hitting the post from a free kick for the Mackem’s and then in the 80th minute Kurtis Smith took a Tom Daly style dive and was awarded a penalty even VAR couldn’t have missed was a dive. Kurtis stepped up and buried his 2019 demons of missing a penalty on the same pitch and slotting calmy past the keeper, despite the crowds best effort to put him off with noises.


6 Minutes later that man again Kurtis Smith ran up the wing, playing it centre to Gavin Gilbraith who played a cute one-two with Paddy Dawson and calmy placed it past the keeper making it 3-2 to the Geordies thus making the last 5 minutes very nerve wracking for the leaders. Barry Sweeney finally blew the full time whistle and it ended 3-2 to the Geordies!

Our event organiser Gareth Horsley would like to give his sincere thanks to everybody from both sides for their continued support in this event.


Next year will be our 5th Annual Bradley Lowery Trophy so watch this space for future announcements regarding this!


Thank you to everybody who played who supported  us through fundraising and sponsorship and a massive thank you again to Matt Thompson @ Druid Park for being as fantastic as ever. We raised £4200 in total which under the circumstances is fantastic.


Here are some pictures of the amazing day it really did turn out to be!